Rome has many lovely piazzas, or public squares, and they range in size from tiny to absolutely huge. Here, we’ve selected our favourite piazzas in Rome in order of interest. Click on the pictures to read more about them…
1. Piazza San Pietro – The centrepiece of Vatican City which acts as a meeting place, open area, art gallery and place of worship all rolled into one. Piazza San Pietro: More info, pics, links & map.. .
Piazza San Pietro, Rome
2. Piazza Navona – The hub of Roman social life with its iconic Bernini water feature, restaurants, a church, artists and bags of atmosphere. Piazza Navona: More info, pics, links & map.. .
Piazza Navona, Rome
3. Piazza di Trevi – A small piazza dominated by Rome’s best known water feature, the Trevi Fountain. Busy night and day with the sounds of tourists mixed with the sounds of gushing water. Piazza di Trevi: More info, pics, links & map.. .
Piazza di Trevi, Rome
4. Piazza del Popolo – Northern Rome’s biggest piazza with an obilisk, historic lions, matching churches and beautiful gardens above. Piazza del Popolo: More info, pics, links & map.. .
Piazza del Popolo, Rome
5. Piazza di Spagna – Home of the famous Spanish Steps along with an attractive water feature and your chance to ride in a horse drawn carriage. Piazza di Spagna: More info, pics, links & map.. .
Piazza di Spagna, Rome
MORE ON ROME’S PIAZZAS
Wikipedia – Piazzas of Rome Books on Rome’s piazzas – Amazon.co.uk Hotels near Piazza di Spagna – Guaranteed lowest rates from Hotels.com